Brückenmuseum1 (Kopie 1)
The days when water mills dotted the landscape and steam engines wound their way through our valleys are gone, and with them disappeared many of the old bridges across our brooks and streams.
It was a cook-by-training, of all people, who took it upon herself to save many of these rarities, some of which are of very complicated construction. Thanks to her "original bridge-saving campaign," several of these bridges have found a new home in Edelsbach in an open-air exhibition around the Austrian Bridge Building Museum, rather than being felled by chainsaw or backhoe.
Renate Theißl has made it her life's mission to save original examples of worthy old bridges and build detailed models of others. Though her first models were made out of very simple matterials and with very basic techniques, in the meantime she works with well-known bride-building experts from the Technical Universities of Graz and Vienna. The museum houses many models of railway bridges, road bridges, military bridges, temporary bridges and bridges for various specialized purposes.
In a former fire brigade building a short walk from the museum, Renate Theißl has set up her workshop. Here you can watch her work on her newest models. School groups can learn how to build model bridges in special workshops under the expert leadership of Ms. Theißl. Prior reservations are necessary for these workshops.
BrückenmuseumPreis (Kopie 1)
- Adults: € 4.00 per person
- Groups of 10 or more: € 3.00 per person
- Children: € 2.00
- Groups of 10 or more children: € 1.50 per child
- Family ticket: € 6.00
- Flat rate for busses: € 130.00
- Contact us for other special rates.
BrückenmuseumÖffnungszeiten (Kopie 1)
April 1 through October 31 Tuesday through Sunday from 10:00 AM to 5 PM.
Closed on Monday.
Reservations are required for groups and busses.
Austrian Bridgebuilding Museum
Tel: 0043 3152 2017
BrückenmuseumWorkshop (Kopie 1)
Model Bridge Building Workshop
- Welcome and tour of the Austrian Bridge Building Museum to stimulate your creative imagination
- Introduction to model-building
- Explanation of the various bridge building techniques and materials
- Demonstration of construction steps and the use of tools
- Selection of materials
- Expert help while working independently
- Our emphasis is on creative play while learning about bridge building
- The finished model should serve as an encouragement to apply the new skills to other projects at home
BrückenmuseumWorkshop2 (Kopie 1)
Recommended workshop length: at least 3 hours
Materials and tools provided:
- strips of wood in variopus lengths and thicknesses for individual design of model bridges
- various wooden materials and model bridge patterns
- paper for individual design of model bridges
- wood glue, squares, mechanical pencils, coping saws, hack saws, etc.
Prices for model-building workshops at our site:
10 -15 participants : € 5.50 per person, including tour of the museum, materials, use of tools and expert instruction
15- 30 participants: €5.00 per person, including tour of the museum, materials, use of tools and expert instruction
Language: The workshops are unfortunately only available in German
Prior reservation is required for all workshops.